new deaf town?

Liza

Reaction score
Family planning new town for sign language by 2005:

Near Sioux Falls of South Dakota, a family with hereditary deafness is buying some acres they would name Laurent (after Clerc) and they plan on designating them for folks who use sign language (they would welcome hearing people as residents as long as they knew sign language). I think this is an interesting idea, and probably will be a great field trip for those learning ASL! I support the idea.... I do think there is so much to explore in this area.

The article states there would be 4 blocks of houses and stores - already 40 families are interested in moving to Laurent!

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2003/11/16/news/state/top/news01.prt

wow! that will be awsome!!! Souix Falls is only 2 hours away from my town.. it would be awsome if i live there..

I am glad that you brought it up, Liza!! :thumb: It is very interesting!! Maybe I can visit there!!

Oh yeah! Another Martha's Vineyard! :D

I personally knew Marvin Miller from the Gally days. He was a decent and cool guy and we always talked about computer stuffs and political issues. :)

Last edited:
Hmm...interesting! Souix Falls is my mother's birth town! I certainly would LOVE to visit the town and see for myself -- it sounds like a great place! :thumb:

Katzie said:
Even though I'm a resident of Massachusetts I had no idea. That is because I'm not into history so I didn't know - so my fault! :) Anyhow, that is quite an intersting history and thanks for pointing that out!

Katzie........

I have to say this.... HAHAHAHA... cuz I was in the same boat with you few years ago when I found out about Martha Vineyard. I was like huh ? I grew up in cape cod full life but part time during childhood (parents divorced) then I moved back to cape cod FULL time at 18 years old to now, No i haven't heard about it then I read somewhere on internet and it was true I was like *Gasp* and I haven't learn fully about it yet but I planned to read more about it someday :) If I have a time.. LOL

Wendy

maybe i should buy some land. it would be good for renting it out. hey we could have a deaf spring break type of parties down there ;)

Liza said:
Family planning new town for sign language by 2005:

Near Sioux Falls of South Dakota, a family with hereditary deafness is buying some acres they would name Laurent (after Clerc) and they plan on designating them for folks who use sign language (they would welcome hearing people as residents as long as they knew sign language). I think this is an interesting idea, and probably will be a great field trip for those learning ASL! I support the idea.... I do think there is so much to explore in this area.

The article states there would be 4 blocks of houses and stores - already 40 families are interested in moving to Laurent!

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2003/11/16/news/state/top/news01.prt

Interesting article !! I went to Sioux Falls in South Dakota last summer 2003 for the Deaf Women United National Conference. I have seen alot of Deaf people live in that area because of CSA Relay Service System, S.D. School for the Deaf, etc...

People are very friendly down there !! The state is really flat when the plane flew over that area. Alot of farm areas there.

THIS is INTRESTING, i d like to check that out for my own purpose of seeing how this would be developed!

It was very interesting to go and visiting there. Maybe I will move there. :rofl:

ooooo...so suppose if I moved to a house there, I would throw a big party with blaring music, I wouldn't have to worry about cops coming over or a neighbor complaining for loud music- it's a deaf community, who's gonna hear the music! (no offense guys!) :dance: :party:

:shock: wow that is so damn cooool, I wish I have live with one city with allllll Deaf community, it will be a nice for me to easy living there. :lol:

640 acres is one square mile. That’s enough room to support a very sizable population—fifteen to twenty thousand or more, easy. It would be really cool if they could eventually set aside 40 acres or so for a 2 year community college. That would bring in students and money from all over the state, and give the community a massive financial boost.

cool idea, Levonian

Personally I can't wait for first deaf owned and operated hotel!
I heard Sioux Falls area is a nice place to visit.

tekkmortal said:
cool idea, Levonian

Personally I can't wait for first deaf owned and operated hotel!
I heard Sioux Falls area is a nice place to visit.

Actually, there is a classy hotel owned and operated by a deaf man in Italy called the Hassler Hotel.

Liza said:
Actually, there is a classy hotel owned and operated by a deaf man in Italy called the Hassler Hotel.

You would have to learn Italian Sign Language to get to stay there. Know any American ones?

Back