deaf driving

BabyPhat21

Reaction score
when me and my best friend drives, we chat and we have to look at each other of course and this affects the driving, I realize it may look like we are drunk or something. One time I was driving next to my friend and we were texting and signing through the window to each other lol....... we probably look like we were fighting or bad case of road rage......

is this normal or ????

hhahaha yes it's normal i do the same thing with my friend, only mine's a bit risker with being blind on one eye and i have to tell my passenger to sit up a bit close to the dashboard so i can see what thier saying and same time watch the road!

and when we talk on the road i must be on the right side so i can talk on my left side when talking to my friend from another car! :)

if my turn talk, my face pay attention and talk same time, when other person's turn talk, my face still face front, but i can see her or him somehow

Humm, Its a little bit hard for me to try to form a converstation in my car while driving and have one blind eye in the right.

I try not to talk so much while driving on the highway but going into the counry, not a real problem unless lots of cars.

:lol: That's all perfectly normal!!! My hubby and I rarely sign to each other in a moving vehicle (doesn't matter who's driving, him or me). My hubby always kept saying "WATCH THE DAMN ROAD, DAMNIT!" :rofl: So I listened to him and paid attention to the road until we were finish traveling, then we signed to each other. :lol: He's a better driver than I am. :o

Rolla....its called your peripheral vision, man.:mrgreen:

thats remind me of that infamous book called deafology 101 as DDD which it stand for " Damn Deaf Driver " If u haven't read that book as i suggest ya to read these ... IT is so damnnn funny but most are true !!

Originally posted by knightwolf68
thats remind me of that infamous book called deafology 101 as DDD which it stand for " Damn Deaf Driver " If u haven't read that book as i suggest ya to read these ... IT is so damnnn funny but most are true !!

Really? I gotta check it out. Thanks for sharing, KW! :thumb:

:lol: YES its normal -- and u know deaf drivers are statistically better drivers than the hearies :-x

i talk while driving no plm -- i imagine we do look like drunk drivers or ignorant -- but the officers will know better when they see the animated signing going on in the vehicles and would leave alone unless theres an OBVIOUS sign of truly being a driver under influence of drugs/alcohol then they would pull u over

what abt the dome lights inside the car qq some states i was SHOCKED to find out would cite u for having a dome light ON in the car while u are talking with a friend! :shock: i always have my light on in the car when its after dark and talking with friends when im driving as the light does NOT bother me at all and the Maryland state troopers or the county police wont pull u over for that reason -- those states that doesnt allow it is so STUPID to begin with and quite discriminatory against deaf drivers IMO that has to go! (i still do that anyway in those states even after ive been told its not allowed from friends :lol: )

also most are come from the book called " Deafinitions for Signlets & more deafinitions" also Deafology 101 is good one too.. but deafinitions is best book that i ever read

Originally posted by knightwolf68

KW68 -- i definately should get myself a copy LOL ive heard of that book -- ive heard its a VERY hilarious book

I don't necessarly think that being deaf affects ones ability to drive. I think that it's the distractions that affect your ability to drive.

For example, if you're driving alone in your car, you're driving no worse (or so I hope) than any of the drivers around you. However, put a few people in that car, a pager, and whatever else it is you guys do while driving, and that will affect your ability to drive.

Same thing goes for non-deaf drivers. Put a few people in the car, and their attention turns towards the people, not the road.

It's perfect normal about deaf drivers.. Some people would drive reckless and dangerous. some people would drive better than others..

I drive mostly better than all of my friends. but there was 2 funniest moment in my life with driving and deaf peepz in my car..

There was a time few yrs ago when I picked a friend up from other city in KS. We were driving up on KTA.. I was driving like 75 over 65 speedin limit zone. somehow my friend kept on say SLOW DOWN SLOW DOWN! COP COP COP Theres the COP.. I just didn't payattention until that moment that car on the shoulder had caught my eyes. I was like OH SHIT! then I hit the brakes.. Thinkin they wouldn't catch me. Good Enough I was busted. I pulled over and the cop would walk up to my friend's side. and She kept on saying where's the cop dang where's the cop I said on ur side.. He's right there. she felt so stupid about it. and the cop told her to settle down and not moving around in the seat.. cuz the cop had told her that he was about to pull his gun out and realize we were deaf. What a dumbo friend she was LOL....

Other time was I had a friend with me in the car. We were chatting all the way to a deaf school's graduation few yrs ago. Somehow my friend asked me about something so I kept on chattin and driving. Then looked for somethin. I had one handon the steering wheel and other hand with my face lookin for something in the back seat. somehow I looked up to the road. I had yelled out "OH SHIT!!!" my friend had grabbed her seatbelts on. And end up we were driving through ditch.. Man it scared us..

Those was the hilarious moment I have ever done with friends..
:crazy: :crazy: :laugh2:

I know I shouldn't but I drive with the dome lights on and turn it off when I see a cop around but the worse thing is texting/paging with friends............ I think both cell phones and pagers should not be allowed while driving but I cant help it!!!

I wear my hearing aid on my left ear and yes, it's hard to drive while talking to the person so it's better for me to look at the person and speak to her/him when we are at a stop sign or at parking lot or whatever.

When I go out driving with my friends or family joining me... I always turn my head chat with them, or one hand on steering wheel and one hand signing, or sometime I put my knee on the steering wheel and use both hand to chat... I have no problem... OTHERWISE if there are bad traffic during rush hour, I always tell people to let me focus on the road first...

Originally posted by pimpdaddyposse
When I go out driving with my friends or family joining me... I always turn my head chat with them, or one hand on steering wheel and one hand signing, or sometime I put my knee on the steering wheel and use both hand to chat... I have no problem... OTHERWISE if there are bad traffic during rush hour, I always tell people to let me focus on the road first...
same here !!

yah, me too! i did watch the signs and road same time. wow that is lot of work! :lol: one person i rode with was uses SEE and I uses ASL... she kept said what?? what?? I think I better wait til stop then use my voice with my signs... she said ohhhh! ~ phft! how sad!

Damn....those stories here makes me want to stay off the road with you guys on the road. :o

Back