Scratching Sofa

ClearSky

Reaction score
Hey, has anyone had any luck stopping their own cat from scratching the sofa? I have tried an Organic Spray, and it mostly doesn't work. I have a scratching cardboard thingy that I bought, and my cat uses it everyday. I got him using it after using the sticky tape. I tried using the sticky tape, but he will a few times try other areas. Not a lot though. It does work because he mostly uses the cardboard, but once you remove it-he is back scratching the sofas. He knows we don't like it. My mom hates those sticky tapes because she feels the sofa looks like it is taped up old torn sofa :). I personally don't care, but it's my mom's. The sofa is not in bad shape, but I'd like to continue to do something to stop it. Declawing will not be an option. Forget it. I clip his nails regularly, but that won't prevent the problem. Any one have any other tips? There's this weird thing at the store that have plastic thing that you attach to their individual claws. I think it's complicated. The cardboard he has is not for stretching, but I am afraid to buy just anything because he may not like it plus those rug scratching post are a waste of money. My cat doesn't fancy rugs.

I dunno if it works but I've heard it works...

Try putting a bunch of pennies in a can and tape the lid on and then if you see your cat scratching what he/she is not supposed to scratch, shake the can and it should scare the cat...keep doing it everytime he scratches the sofa, and overtime she/he will learn not to scratch the sofa because she/he will hate the sound of the pennies being shook.

Hope it helps.

There are a lot of ways.
*Keep a spray of water nearby so every time you catch him, SQUIRT! And then put it near the couch so the cat can look at the spray and avoid it (my cat KNOWS what it mean when I take out my spray gun... he just stopped and ran away without me even TRYING to squirt!)
*Mothballs being placed around your couch. However it willc ause you headaches and bs bcause of its strong odor so I won't recommend you this.
*Newspaper (that if your cat hates it, my cat loves it so this method is worhtless), put them on your couch so if it crinkles, they ust freak out. Same thing with alumnium foil-- you can wrap your couch's posts with foil to discourage them from scratching.
*make a lot of noises every time he tries to scratch-- "NO!" clapping your hands etc. they won't like it.
*Orange peels. THey HATE it. But you said that your cat kept finding other spots to scratch so maybe you can spread it out ? up to you.

The point is that you have to condition your cat to remember what HAPPEN if he decides to scratch the couch-- LOUD noises, being WET, or hear WEIRD noises, or smell something FUNKY et cetera.

when I was from 14 to 18 yrs old. My mom's cat always always straches the rug on the stairs all the times so we had to use plastic bag to shake it scare the cat which hate and scare of plastic bag. The cat ran away doesnt like it and still straches all the times till finally stop after my age 18 yrs old cause move new home and no more straches I guess the cat's ages :).

Maybe try plastic bag if your cat scare of plastic bag ?? I dunno :dunno:

Here's my suggestion...

*pulls out plyers*

*clamps claws*

*rips them out*

There you go. Your cat has been declawed. Problem solved! ;)

VamPyroX said:
Here's my suggestion...

*pulls out :giggle: plyers*

*clamps claws*

*rips them out*

There you go. Your cat has been declawed. Problem solved! ;)
:eek3: :ugh3: kitty kitty kitty??? found him!! grabbing him and STAY AWAY FROM YOU!!!!! :nana:

my 3 cats loves scratching corner the wall... not furnitures.. werid.. I'm thinking about scratching post corner...

One of my cat will scratch the wood and the other one will scratch the old chair thanks goodness.

I make so much noise that they dont like. Like Roarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! They dont like that at all. Anything that is loud noise will work for me.

But you better watch it cuz they will do it while you sleep. :eek:

Wonder if cats still scratch on these "Real Leather" sofas ?

Cats will scratch anything that they like...it depends on the texture/feel of the material. My cat loves to scratch carpet (have scratch post) and other cat likes rope on scratch post. They scratched trees outside but fortunately they rarely scratched the couch--for some reason they didnt like it that much.

Maybe u can put skunk smell on the couch...that will keep the cats away for sure!! ;)

Pomeranian said:
One of my cat will scratch the wood and the other one will scratch the old chair thanks goodness.

I make so much noise that they dont like. Like Roarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! They dont like that at all. Anything that is loud noise will work for me.

But you better watch it cuz they will do it while you sleep. :eek:

:lol:

LuciaDisturbed said:
I dunno if it works but I've heard it works...

Try putting a bunch of pennies in a can and tape the lid on and then if you see your cat scratching what he/she is not supposed to scratch, shake the can and it should scare the cat...keep doing it everytime he scratches the sofa, and overtime she/he will learn not to scratch the sofa because she/he will hate the sound of the pennies being shook.

Hope it helps.

Thats interesting! Thanks for the tip! :thumb:

HAVE YOU TRIED USING A REFEREE WHISTLE. THE ONE CAT I HAD BACK SEVERAL YEARS AGO HATED IT WHEN HE ATTEMPT TO TRY OUT HIS CLAWS ON MY COUCH. I JUST BLOW IT AND I SWORE HIS FUR STAND UP. I PINNED THAT WHISTLE ON THE CORNER OF THAT COUCH. ANOTHER ONE IS BARN BOARD SOAK IN WATER WITH CATNIP (TEA BAGS) FOR SEVERAL HOURS, LET IT DRY KABOOM THEY FELL FOR IT. AT A LAST RESORT DECLAW THEM, WHICH MOST VET. DON'T LIKE TO DO. :ugh2: THERE MORE BUT I'LL LET THE OTHERS SAY SOMETHING. :)

Some people I know have found a product called "Scat Mat" to be very effective on keeping cats and dogs away from the door, furniture, automobiles, etc. Scat Mats don't harm cats and dogs -- they are low-volted.

Scat Mats, usually sold at pet stores like Petsmart, Petco, etc., for around fifty dollars.

ClearSky said:
Good Options thanks. I tried the Water Spray, but I feel so terrible! :(

Sometimes water sprays does not work... I remembered my old cat. loved to play scratching my butt every time i sat watching tv.. i sprayed water on him he ran off far enough that water wont reach... i ajdusted spray length.. it wont work he would sit farther and looked at me.... I sure missed him.. he passed away..
SxyPorkie

Brian said:
Some people I know have found a product called "Scat Mat" to be very effective on keeping cats and dogs away from the door, furniture, automobiles, etc. Scat Mats don't harm cats and dogs -- they are low-volted.

Scat Mats, usually sold at pet stores like Petsmart, Petco, etc., for around fifty dollars.

LOL..."Scat Mat" makes me think of shit...cause scat means shit. LOL!

Scat mat!! No way I would hurt my pets with little shocks...I is cruelty... using low electricity to harm pets... No WAy....

SxyPorkie :hyper:

CATLOVERS2000 said:
HAVE YOU TRIED USING A REFEREE WHISTLE. THE ONE CAT I HAD BACK SEVERAL YEARS AGO HATED IT WHEN HE ATTEMPT TO TRY OUT HIS CLAWS ON MY COUCH. I JUST BLOW IT AND I SWORE HIS FUR STAND UP. I PINNED THAT WHISTLE ON THE CORNER OF THAT COUCH. ANOTHER ONE IS BARN BOARD SOAK IN WATER WITH CATNIP (TEA BAGS) FOR SEVERAL HOURS, LET IT DRY KABOOM THEY FELL FOR IT. AT A LAST RESORT DECLAW THEM, WHICH MOST VET. DON'T LIKE TO DO. :ugh2: THERE MORE BUT I'LL LET THE OTHERS SAY SOMETHING. :)
I used to yell at my cats...until i had them declawed.. now it is peaceful... they are adorable
SxyPorkie

Back