Self Sign-Language Interpreting in a TED Talk - First Time Ever

Mixxapm

Reaction score
How the Language of Deaf people is helping the Hearing to become better communicators!

Hello All,

In June of this year (2015) I became the first person to self-interpret myself in to sign-language, during my live TED Talk.

Talk HERE

The title of my talk is How Mixology & Sign Language Opened The Door to a Communication Revolution and is about a new, exciting technique for developing communication skills that has been influenced by my work with BSL and Deaf people.

During the talk, I presented something that had never been seen on a TED stage before.... specifically, I gave an interactive demonstration of how BSL works by interpreting myself live on stage! I achieved this by pre-filming myself verbally presenting the demonstration. Then, at the appropriate moment I played the film on screen and interpreted in to BSL on stage.

Having spent a large part of my life working with my local Deaf community, I was fascinated by the relationship between body-language and hand signs and wondered whether hearing people could develop their own communication skills by taking some lesson from the way in which sign-language is taught/learned. My talk talks about my early influences (including working as a cocktail bartender) and how they led me to develop the technique that I know employ in communication skill training courses.

You can see the talk here: https://youtu.be/aSaePVd4VKs

For your information, the sign-language section starts at around 8.30 of my talk. However, if you have the time, it is worth watching from the start as it provides the context and explanation for the demonstration. You can also click on 'CC' in the bottom right hand corner for subtitles.

I look forward to hearing/seeing your comments.

Back