Windows 8 Release Date Set For October 26: Microsoft

Foxrac

Premium Member
Reaction score
It's official: After months of speculation, Microsoft has set an official release date for Windows 8, its first update to the Windows operating system in almost three years.

After teasing that Windows 8 would be available toward the end of October, Windows President Steven Sinofsky officially announced that the next-generation of Windows will be released on October 26. That's when you'll be able to download it to your PC or purchase a new computer with Windows 8, according to a post on the official Windows Team Blog.

Microsoft had previously announced that an upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 will cost $40 for a digital-only download.

For Microsoft, October 26th is set to be a big day: Windows 8 is one of the most ambitious overhauls of Windows in years, perhaps ever. It features two separate interfaces: the traditional desktop version, with a start bar and icons, as well as a radical new touch-friendly "Metro" interface with the large, fluid live tiles of the Windows Phone operating system. Many key apps, including Internet Explorer, have been redesigned to run only in Metro, while others, such as the recently unveiled Microsoft Office suite, will function as desktop apps.

It is unclear how the general public will react to this radical design change; early reviews have been mixed, which is not a good sign for a Windows user base that has been typically resistant to change. (It took until October 2011 for Windows 7, released in 2009, to surpass Windows XP, released in 2001, as the most used Windows OS). With Windows 8, Microsoft is certainly hoping to avoid another Vista-like revolt.

In the days before Halloween 2012, Microsoft will begin to learn whether it has a fan favorite or a dud in its new operating system. Too, the Microsoft Surface tablet should also be out around October 26th, as Microsoft execs had promised that its first foray into hardware would be out concurrently with the new operating system; we'll also start seeing how well that tablet can sell, up against Apple's market-leading iPad (and perhaps a new iPad Mini).

October 26th, in other words, is one of the biggest days in Microsoft history. Mark your calendars.

Windows 8 Release Date Set For October 26: Microsoft

Very interesting. I'll definitely have to try it out when it comes out.

Really, it has been 3 years since Windows 7 released? Wow, time went by fast! I wonder, will it be huge improve over Windows 7?

I have told several friends to hold off on buying a new computer until windows 8 is released for 2 reasons. first its designed to work from a multitouch interface which will mean tons of new computers with multitouch screens being released. second all computers currently on the market without touch screen interfaces will nosedive in price. so if you are content running windows 7 or XP you will be able to pick up bargin basement pricing on current computers... There is probably going to be a huge number of sales in the next couple of months across the board as retailers try and clear out all their current stock before windows 8 is released.

Windows 8 is no longer "Start Menu" no more

Windows 8 is no longer "Start Menu" no more

You are wrong. Read my article carefully.
For Microsoft, October 26th is set to be a big day: Windows 8 is one of the most ambitious overhauls of Windows in years, perhaps ever. It features two separate interfaces: the traditional desktop version, with a start bar and icons, as well as a radical new touch-friendly "Metro" interface with the large, fluid live tiles of the Windows Phone operating system. Many key apps, including Internet Explorer, have been redesigned to run only in Metro, while others, such as the recently unveiled Microsoft Office suite, will function as desktop apps.

Windows 8 will have option to keep traditional desktop if you want.

Call me old fashioned. I prefer to keep traditional desktop. I'd rather buy MacBook Pro laptop and/or iMac anyway.

I will see what I feel like when it's out. I planned to buy Microsoft Surface (with full version Windows 8). I also planned to buy traditional desktop version for my gaming PCs.

You are wrong! Windows 8 traditional desktop will not have start button but it will have metro button. When you click metro button (same position as start button on windows 7) , it will open metro screen.

You are wrong! Windows 8 traditional desktop will not have start button but it will have metro button. When you click metro button (same position as start button on windows 7) , it will open metro screen.

No, you are wrong.

Read my article above.
It features two separate interfaces: the traditional desktop version, with a start bar and icons, as well as a radical new touch-friendly "Metro" interface with the large, fluid live tiles of the Windows Phone operating system.

Windows 8 will have traditional desktop with start bar and icons, just like Windows 7 style whatever users want.

you are all wrong. windows suck. :cool2:

Call me old fashioned. I prefer to keep traditional desktop. I'd rather buy MacBook Pro laptop and/or iMac anyway.

Yeah. I m too. I use my DELL desktop computer somedays. I always use my MacBook Pro. I love it. I m boring with PC. Ha! Ha!

I've been hearing a lot of bad reviews from those who have already tried out Windows 8. I wonder if it's worth it.

I've been hearing a lot of bad reviews from those who have already tried out Windows 8. I wonder if it's worth it.

Wow, it will be good news for Linux communities and if Windows 8 receive a lot of bad reviews so more people will hop in Linux or Mac OS X.

Wow, it will be good news for Linux communities and if Windows 8 receive a lot of bad reviews so more people will hop in Linux or Mac OS X.
I've never had the time to actually work with every single Windows OS out there, but from what I've heard... it's a yo-yo effect.

Windows 95 was good. Windows Me wasn't. Windows XP was. Windows Vista wasn't. Windows 7 was. Next is Windows 8... could it suck?

I don't like stable on window 8 crappy :lol: If suppose next to window 9 Release futures again waste of times money cost ! that is why! longest!

Last edited:
No, you are wrong.

Read my article above.

Windows 8 will have traditional desktop with start bar and icons, just like Windows 7 style whatever users want.

Oh my bad. I thought you mean start menu. lol. It is sad to see start menu go away.

There are war between PC and MAC here.

Back