Im designing a product for the deaf/ hearing impaired - need your help

superoman

Reaction score
Hi

My name is Peter Bakos and I am studying A Bachelor of Design (Industrial - Product) in New Zealand

Through working with some hearing impaired people I discovered a need for products to help them.

I have developed a questionaire that I would like people to answer.

It would be great if you work in a noisy environment and could fill out the questionaire. if you don't fill work in a noisy environment you can fill it out anyway

It is a bit long to put on this forum but ill put the first page on here anyway.

If you would like to complete the full questionaire it would be great. Just email me superoman AT paradise.net.nz
If my email address has been removed click on my name to the left and it should point you to my emial link

Heres the first page

Have you been deaf/hard of hearing all your life?

How did this affect you at school (if you were deaf at that time)?

What devices have you had throughout your life to aid yourself in your loss of hearing?

eg
Vibrating Clock
Relay Service
Strobe Smoke Detector
etc

What devices have been most useful and why?

eg
Vibrating Clock
Relay Service
Strobe Smoke Detector
etc

What devices have been ineffective?

eg
Vibrating Clock
Relay Service
Strobe Smoke Detector
etc

What products do you think there could be to help you that don’t exist now

Do you associate with other members of the deaf community and how?

Thanks
Please email me for the complete survey

Last edited:
I've been deaf since I was 20 months old because I had Spinal Mengitis.

I went to oral school for the deaf and to mainstreamed schools. It delayed my language for a while, but I got caught up later on.

What devices have you had throughout your life to aid yourself in your loss of hearing?

eg
Vibrating Clock
Relay Service
Strobe Smoke Detector
etc

I use light signal light alarm clock, vp, relay service on vp, doorbell light signal, sk2 pager, and vp signal light.

eg
Vibrating Clock
Relay Service
Strobe Smoke Detector
etc

I use light signal alarm clock every morning to get up to take children to school on time. It is very important. I use vp every day to talk to people and use relay vp every day to talk to hearing people who do not have vp. I have sk2 with me all the time except in bed or in shower...it kept me in touch right away with people. Our kids' schools page me when they need me to pick them up earlier due to their being sick, etc.

eg
Vibrating Clock
Relay Service
Strobe Smoke Detector
etc

TTY has become absolute in my home because we now have vp. I use vp relay to call people and it is much more natural and faster than having hearing person wait for me to finish typing and for relay operator to say words slowly. I noticed that more and more deaf people don't use TTY once they have vp.

I would like to have vibrating wristband that would alert me when when children are making louder noises in their bedrooms at night when they were supposed to be asleep. I would not want to wear wristband all the time, only during the evenings. Maybe you can invent that. :thumb:

I go to deaf peoples houses to visit, visit them on vp, go to deaf club, deaf bowling, deaf church, etc. This summer I will attend Okla. Asso. of the Deaf convention. I also visit AD a lot. :thumb:

Peachy Lady said:
I've been deaf since I was 20 months old because I had Spinal Mengitis.

I went to oral school for the deaf and to mainstreamed schools. It delayed my language for a while, but I got caught up later on.

eg
Vibrating Clock
Relay Service
Strobe Smoke Detector
etc

I use light signal light alarm clock, vp, relay service on vp, doorbell light signal, sk2 pager, and vp signal light.

eg
Vibrating Clock
Relay Service
Strobe Smoke Detector
etc

I use light signal alarm clock every morning to get up to take children to school on time. It is very important. I use vp every day to talk to people and use relay vp every day to talk to hearing people who do not have vp. I have sk2 with me all the time except in bed or in shower...it kept me in touch right away with people. Our kids' schools page me when they need me to pick them up earlier due to their being sick, etc.

eg
Vibrating Clock
Relay Service
Strobe Smoke Detector
etc

TTY has become absolute in my home because we now have vp. I use vp relay to call people and it is much more natural and faster than having hearing person wait for me to finish typing and for relay operator to say words slowly. I noticed that more and more deaf people don't use TTY once they have vp.

I would like to have vibrating wristband that would alert me when when children are making louder noises in their bedrooms at night when they were supposed to be asleep. I would not want to wear wristband all the time, only during the evenings. Maybe you can invent that. :thumb:

I go to deaf peoples houses to visit, visit them on vp, go to deaf club, deaf bowling, deaf church, etc. This summer I will attend Okla. Asso. of the Deaf convention. I also visit AD a lot. :thumb:

Hi Peachy Lady,

Where did you get that vibrating wristband? I am surprised to hear that there have wearing vibrating wristband. I didn't know that. Someday, I like to buy one.

I dont think she has a vibrating wristband ArkieGal, she said she wanted one to spy on her kids when they are suppost to be sleeping....

tegumi said:
I dont think she has a vibrating wristband ArkieGal, she said she wanted one to spy on her kids when they are suppost to be sleeping....

I got it. I understand that. I wish I have one. I have 9 1/2 years old hearing daughter. I worry if someone kidnap my daughter in her room when we are sleeping. I've read the newspapers about what's happened to kids. That's scary.

I been deaf all my life from Rubella and my schooling years were excellent and all the producs are useful.

Richard

Have you been deaf/hard of hearing all your life? deaf all my life

How did this affect you at school (if you were deaf at that time)? yes. no devices were offered that time.

hearing aids
vibrating clock/light flashing
closed captioned

hearing aids (to hear my babies crying and all)
vibrating clock (helps me get up and get ready for work or I will miss my pay!)
close captioned (to see and understand what is going on with the world)

Relay Service (operators sucks with nasty attitudes that turn off people by telling me what they have done)

Strobe Smoke Detector (its cost is killing us, we can't afford like regular people because it is not mass produced)

Carbon Monoxide Detector (they cost an fortune where regular people can buy them for 20 bucks, us for 200 to 300 bucks)

carbon monoxide
security alarm
hearing aids for sports without injuries or banned devices
waterproof and submerisble hearing aids would be great....

yes. internet/pager

can't you all read his post?! he explicitly mentioned that if you're willing to do his survey, simply send him an email and you'll get the entire survey - the questions he posted here was just a sample.

Back