Why Cochlear Implants Hurt Deaf Culture?

RebelGirl said:
My parents used to get soo frustrated with me and would take my HAs to get it repaired.. but I'd do it again over and over :Oops: then the Audiologist found another option.. was the aids that can be put behind the ears. so I got those.. and ended up throwing out of the car window while driving... so once more.. I got another new one and finally kept it on my ears.. Now I've worn hearing aids for 30 years :mrgreen: me :angel:

That is so funny! :giggle: My parents had a similar battle with me but they won me over by giving me a big box of chocolates and while I was stuffing my face they snuck the hearing aid on. I apparently couldn't be parted with it after that.

DeafMonkey said:
oh wow you must be so brave and smart that you saw the window was open and threw them out lol :lol:

I could have thrown it to the floor but I guess I just happened to throw it out of the window.. lol

R2D2 said:
That is so funny! :giggle: My parents had a similar battle with me but they won me over by giving me a big box of chocolates and while I was stuffing my face they snuck the hearing aid on. I apparently couldn't be parted with it after that.

LOL that helped??? with a big box of chocolate?? haha that's funny too!

Let's not get off the topic here. A new thread about old fashioned hearing aids will be created so we all can tell our stories in there :)

ButterflyGirl said:
Let's not get off the topic here. A new thread about old fashioned hearing aids will be created so we all can tell our stories in there :)

:thumb: lol :D

R2D2 said:

are you deaf forumer?

TrippLA said:
are you deaf forumer?

Yep. I was born severely/profoundly deaf and hearing aids did me good until October last year when I suddenly lost the rest of my hearing. So I'm having a CI (sorry I know you hate them but I just miss hearing so much!).

R2D2 said:
Yep. I was born severely/profoundly deaf and hearing aids did me good until October last year when I suddenly lost the rest of my hearing. So I'm having a CI (sorry I know you hate them but I just miss hearing so much!).

you got CI?? how old are you got CI?

R2D2 said:
Not yet. Waiting for surgery date in June.

:) Looking forward to hearing all about your surgery and your switch-on after you've healed.

People with audist attitude did it on purpose to destroy deaf children s right to mingle with other deaf children in deaf school because they are trying to split us up or keep us away from each other.

In netherlands that where cloggy lives in.. They do not allow deaf children with CI to mingle with Deaf children with signers or HA. What a disaster to see this happens in this world... Thats very outrageous.

Thats very wrongdoing by those people who tried to stop us from seeing other deaf people until they are 18 years old or finally found them in late age.. I dont think it s appropriate for them to do this to us.

Whats more it hurts deaf chlidren to be isolated all over again like in the past for what oral method audist attitude did it to us that we tied up our hands that is not allowed for us to communicate with our hands..

Also they took away our ASL that works for us deaf children to understand the concept of language before english or orally speaking...

Thats simple that they are trying to destroy everything that deaf community have for deaf people s needs.. It s important for deaf people to work together to fight for our good reasons.

without deaf community.. you are a big deadmeat and isolated in this society like the old past days.. Sighs! You dont realize how serious it can be very bad situation for all of us deafies..

it sux by ppl who loves to control and conform us all along that has not succcssful in many ways.. whats their purpose of doing that to us and our deaf community?? JEEZ!!!

SweetMind said:
People with audist attitude did it on purpose to destroy deaf children s right to mingle with other deaf children in deaf school because they are trying to split us up or keep us away from each other.

:looking around: What people?

In netherlands that where cloggy lives in.. They do not allow deaf children with CI to mingle with Deaf children with signers or HA. What a disaster to see this happens in this world... Thats very outrageous.

How do you know, do you have proof to back up your statement?

Thats very wrongdoing by those people who tried to stop us from seeing other deaf people until they are 18 years old or finally found them in late age.. I dont think it s appropriate for them to do this to us.

Again what people?

Also they took away our ASL that works for us deaf children to understand the concept of language before english or orally speaking...

Bear this in mind, there are many language methods for parents to choose not only ASL!

Thats simple that they are trying to destroy everything that deaf community have for deaf people s needs.. It s important for deaf people to work together to fight for our good reasons.

without deaf community.. you are a big deadmeat and isolated in this society like the old past days.. Sighs! You dont realize how serious it can be very bad situation for all of us deafies..

Who's " they " and what are they trying to destroy? :dunno:

hearing people undoubtedly made many unfortunate mistakes with deaf people, but not out of maliciousness (being evil) but because of lack of understanding.
Times are changing in a lot of ways- disability of any kind is no longer seen as UN-ability. many disabled people demand respect and assistance, access to before denied ways of life and rightly so.

Deaf community too is stronger than ever, deafness better understood.

Now deaf people can and should use any tool that can assist them in hearing world- why not?

The crux is to not separate deaf from hearing and vice versa.
CI, oralism etc is not the end of deaf community- separating is.

Fuzzy

Sweetmind said:

When I went deaf at age 9, my parents went to meet with officials at Jericho Hill School for the Deaf in Vancouver, BC. They had been told that this school might be able to better meet my new needs, and wanted to give me the opportunity to get to know other deaf children (as we were living in a logging community about 600 miles away, where I was the only deaf child in my town.) My parents were informed that even though I had only lost my hearing 6 months prior, I would be required to live in the school dorms instead of at home (my parents were planning on buying a house nearby,) and would only be allowed home on holidays. My parents gave me the choice, and I chose to remain with them in my hometown rather than move to an entirely alien community and be apart from my family.

I wasn't stopped from my "right" to mingle with other deaf people - I was given the choice and chose not to. In retrospect I believe it was the right choice. I did learn sign language on my own, with my parents and some friends (me and my hearing classmates in grades 5 - 6- 7 even formed a lunch-time sign language club!)

Why am I telling you this? To show you that there ARE other kinds of situation, and that not everybody who choses not to mingle with the deaf community is an "audist." People *are* given choices. Those choices are made by either the parents, the children, or both together, but there *are* other situations where nobody is forced to do anything.

Sweetmind said:

While that might have been true 30 years ago, with the advent of the internet, video relay, sidekicks/blackberries, the deaf community is no longer isolated from society - indeed they are more cohesive than ever! Its brought so many people together so they can share friendships, ideas, education, etc (just like on this forum.)

Back